At a glance:
Learn how to navigate conversations about race that can be emotionally charged and challenging.
The book provides a good breakdown of the different types of biases we have. Kwame also lists out what are some actions that produces adversity. He gives tips on how to navigate conversations about race that can be emotionally charged and challenging
Here are some key takeaways from the book:
- Prepare yourself emotionally and mentally for the conversation.
- Listen actively and try to understand the other person's perspective.
- Speak from your own personal experience and perspective.
- Acknowledge and validate the other person's feelings.
- Use "I" statements rather than "you" statements to avoid blame and defensiveness.
- Avoid making assumptions and ask clarifying questions.
- Look for common ground and focus on finding solutions.
- Be open to learning and growing from the conversation.
- Be patient and willing to have follow-up conversations.
- Remember to practice self-care and empathy.
1. ThinkImpact.co does not have any direct relationship with the author and therefore receives no commission from any sale of the book.
2. When you purchase the book through our link, you are supporting our work. Thank you!